Sunday, March 11, 2007

Truth

Truth, what is truth, I think that we all have own perception on what we feel is true to us. It is only human to exaggerate the truth to suite our own need. However lying is something that is wrong and affects not only you but also everyone around you. Even if the lie is intended to protect another persons feeling. It is even worse to lie to yourself in order to find some form of importance. In spite of this there is thin line between truth and lie and how can one distinguish this line if we have our own perception on what we feel is true to us. When we as readers read a piece of writing it is up to us to make our own judgment as to how truthful the material is and how are we going to interrupt this material on the bases of what we feel is true to us.

3 comments:

bryan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bryan said...

When it comes to writing about ones life, I believe that the author should in fact write the truth. When most people tell stories, they use a lot or just a bit of exaggeration. Exaggeration is what makes stories more interesting and keeps the reader’s attention. I do not mind at all if authors want to add better details about a situation to make it more appealing. That also makes more enjoyable reading. I have a problem when an author adds situations or encounters that never actually happened in their memoirs. If the author wants to make up stories or events in their life, then they should write a fictional book, not a memoir/biography.

Anonymous said...

Hi Suhan, I really agree with you and how you basically explained that everyone has a different perception of lies and truth. However, when authors who are writting a memoir about one's life like bryan has said should tell the truth. But you are right. One thing i'm wondering is who you think is the bigger liar?? But like bryan said in your blog, most reader's exaggeration in one story is the only thing that makes it interesting to read. But for a creation of memoirs I would like to read about the truth.