Sunday, March 18, 2007

Blog 2. Who Is The Bigger Liar?

When reading both of these pieces, I felt that they both; Grey Owl and James Frey were liars. With James Frey in his writing "One million little pieces" he told us the readers numerous times lies. With the memoir he wrote about his criminal background which we found out two years later to be false information. So once it was all said and done everything he told us about his life was really just a lie and he never really lived like he had said.
Once I read the "Man of the last frontier" written by Grey Owl, I found out that he too had lied to us readers. He told us that he was a full blooded Native Indian when really he was an Englishman. To lie about your identiy and your background I feel is someone who wasn't really proud of who they were. Sadly though we didn't find out about his lies in a couple of years, but after he passed away. The lies he told affected the way people felt and looked at his work he had done. As well his lies affected the amount of donations people gave to conservationists.
When I read memoirs i expect to read about the writers life experiences how they dealt with them, their emotions and feelings. Not to read lies and to be falsely lead on. My final thought on these two writers was that they were both liars but in the end I think that James Frey lied more because he told lies pretty much about everything he wrote not just a couple things like Grey Owl did. In the end a liar is always a liar though, not matter how many times you tell a lie or what you tell the lie about.

No comments: