For me, Mr. Owl is the bigger liar. It’s one thing to lie about a date you went on, or a train wreck you were apart of, but to lie about who you are, and where you came from is a big deal for me.
I have worked very hard to realize who I am, personally, and I’ve taken pride in letting everyone else know who I am. Therefore it is hard for me to accept Grey Owl telling the world that he was always a gruff, adventurous Indian when really he was raised by his two aunts in England, and never even experienced the wilderness until he was an adult.
James Frey lied but stayed true to himself. He was indeed a substance abuser, and got in trouble with the law. I think that people only ridiculed his lies because he had told them right to Oprah’s face. Being on Oprah’s show made his lies more public, which made people even more upset with him. Oprah said, and many agreed that A Million Little Pieces was the most remarkable writing, and made them cry, and kept them awake at night, and I think that the novel would still have that effect on people if they weren’t already too pissed off to go out and buy it now.
Because Grey Owl had the reader believe that he was someone he was not, and James Frey just embellished the facts of his messed up life, I think Grey Owl would be the one I’d convict for the crime.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment