Monday, March 26, 2007

After Daniel: A Memoir With Villians

In After Daniel, I would say that the circumstances surronding Daniel's death could be considered the villians. Daniel had certain things working against him in the memoir that caused him to commit suicide. For example, the author discussed how Daniel was alienated from his family for a long period of time. This is a factor that contributed to Daniel feeling depressed and encouraging him to commit suicide. Another factor discussed by Moira Farr is that Daniel fought an alcohol addiction. Based on the research I did for my journal, alcoholism and suicide are correlated. Therefore, alcohol can also be considered a villian in the memoir because it caused Daniel to commit suicide. These factors could both be considered the villians in the memoir because they faught against Daniel and caused him to commit suicide.

1 comment:

Yousouf said...

Hi Kwabena

I think you have been very creative in labelling society's ills as villains, such as alcoholism and family alienatian, and we can add a whole bunch of other factors to this list.

These factors can only bring destruction such as the case with Daniel. I think that by using the term villain itself, brings about a shift in people's mind about those factors which are so glorified in our modern days by the machinery of advertising which happens to be inside our door steps.