Sunday, April 1, 2007

Hurt

Sylvia Fraser uses both italic and bold font throughout her memoir to convey her thoughts and feels. The italic, light font which indicates her vivid and cloudy memory of her past and uses the bold font to represent her present feeling of the past. The themes of loss, despair, trust and innocence are reveled through her method of connecting both of her past being to figure out her present being.

Loss: “I’m not exactly a child, but neither I am an adult". Expresses her sense of loss of not knowing herself on all levels, physically,emotionally and mentally. It shows her sense of being confused and unsure. (p.487)

Despair: “My daddy is pressing his belly against me. I can’t breathe” (490)"From then on I would have two selves the child how knows with guilty body possessed by daddy, and a child who dares not to know any longer”. (p.490) Conveys her sense of feeling hopeless and despair.

Trust: “Now I understand the fear of confusion that kept me from my father’s deathbed. Mother why didn’t you protect me” (p.496). Suggests her feeling of being betrayed by her mother the one who was suppose to protect her.

Innocence: “I became a woman before I was five” (p.497). Indicates her loss of her innocence.

No comments: