Sunday, April 8, 2007

Podcasts

The podcasts I read for this blog were both from the CBC radio website. They were both dealing with the rual areas in Newfoundland, which as some of you may already know my home provience. The stories I read were about the rual areas and how times have changed so much in the provience of Newfoundland. Most people always think that all Newfoundlanders do is drink and fish. This always makes me mad because it's such a sterotype. Newfoundlanders are not all like that. Most of the people residing in Newfoundland now are elders who have grown up and lived there and now will die there as well.
The stories I looked at talked about the rual areas and how when they lived there years before the town was alive and busy. Now as most people return to these areas there is barely anything left there but a few empty houses and as I said before, elders. Two things which I saw that related to this course was how these stories I read about were true and based on true experiences and real places. This relates back to the memoirs we read; they too were based on real experiences. Another relation was to the life writing part of these stories I read. Like I said before these stories about the rual areas in Newfoundland were true and based on real people and real places where people once lived and then once the fishery closed, their lives were changed. I would strongly suggest anyone who puts the label of the "drinking and fishing newfie" on us Newfoundlanders to look at these podcast because then you can have a better outlook as to what really happened in our small island provience and what is still occuring there today.

No comments: